Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A quick update from the farm- 
May has been an extremely busy month for the band, and that has limited my work time on the farm. The garden is planted and doing fairly well, in spite of a late frost that damaged some of my crops. Last Sunday I was able to replant the green beans and some peas which had been wiped out, but there are still some bald patches in the rows that survived. I imagine I will have to replant the corn too, not because of frost damage but it looks like there were issues with my planter. A couple of the rows are thick but most of them are very sporadic. I think the planter just got jammed up and didn't distribute the seeds properly. Everything else I had planted by hand and the density was fine. 

 I was pleased with the result of my efforts at keeping the potato bugs bugs at bay, they are bushy, green and healthy with minimal infestation. In fact, they are blooming and producing little spuds already. I have already harvested potatoes from the tubs I have back in the city and they are quite good. 

I still have to plant the scarlet runner beans and some pole butter beans, but for the most part planting is done. I also planted two long rows of peanuts and hopefully they will come up and produce. I have another plot about 20x70 feet set aside for corn which hopefully I will be able plant sometime in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment