Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sawmill


One of the deciding factors when we were searching for land was that it must contain a sustainable forest. At first, this primarily meant firewood, but the more I thought about it I soon came to consider a broader scope. As long as I can remember, I have loved woodworking. My first real job was an apprentice cabinet maker under the master wood smith George Jones, in Statham, Georgia. Thanks to him and his partner Donald, I learned most of what I know today about working wood.

I religiously save my gig money from playing in the band to fund projects. These projects usually have something to do with becoming more self reliant, learning a new skill or helping someone in need. I do occasionally invest in more music gear, but for the most part I'm focusing on savings and the future of the farm. When we purchased the farm, the old barn was one of the characteristics that we fell in love with. Unfortunately, it is actually in bad shape and needs rebuilding. Looking at the structure, I began to think that it wouldn't be that difficult to restore or rather, rebuild to the original specs. It was then that I started thinking about building a sawmill. After a lot of research, I found a band saw mill that would do the job and started saving. While this one was my second choice, (my first choice has no dealers within 2 days drive) after careful consideration I feel it is still a good entry level machine and will do everything I need.

The earnings from last night's show completed the financial requirements, and a few weekends from now I'll be heading down to pick it up. This opens up all kinds of possibilities for buildings, barns, fences and a host of other things for which wood is a necessity. I'm hoping even a rustic cabin is not out of the question.

I think my biggest challenge is going to be how to get the logs down from the mountain, and while I have some solid theoretical concepts, it is a skill I still have to put into practice. The first log will be a huge fallen oak, about 20 inches in diameter, which is blocking the access road to the mountain top. It will be a massive undertaking for my novice self, but I will prevail- one way or the other. I must, for the entire future of this plan hinges on my success, and I don't take failure all that well.

I usually can only find the sanity to undertake daunting tasks by envisioning the finished outcome. My vision here is of old master George, who on seeing my hand built cabin, those beautiful wood cabinets and all that has been created out of wood, gives me a little smile and nod of approval. In a way, I will have become a master, and I think that was his intention all along.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right! Papa (George) would look on you with a twinkle in those blue eyes and say "well done". Lovely post! Just be careful when you start on the Paul Bunyon phase of the journey, and remember Uncle Gene, who will tell you in a heartbeat that in a mishap between a man and a tree, the tree almost always wins!! Congratulations on saving enough for your sawmill!!! I'm so excited to watch your dream continue to unfold!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Jo Said:

    Can't get my comment to post on Michael's blog. Would you please post for me?
    +++++++

    Ohhhhhh... Michael! Thank you for those kind words about my Dad. He loved to teach folks his wood working skills. He would indeed be very proud of you! Love you! DJ

    ReplyDelete